Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rainbow Vodka Slush

I was unsure as to whether I should post this in the Weekly Recipe section or not, because it's hardly food, so I decided to post it here. I was wandering through the maze that is Pinterest and I found this pin that took me to the blog of Ramlings from the Sunshine State, which showed me how to make this awesome rainbow slush in a triffle bowl with freeze pops. So I decided to test it out, and post my experience on my blog. Now the original instructions were made for a child's birthday party, however, I decided to add some 'adult' ingredients and I'll be serving this at Scott and I's going away party next week! 

To View the Original instructions, click above, I want to give credit to the master mind in this instance!


So I started with 100 Freeze Pops, and put them into bowls. I had 6 different colors and they were distributed fairly evenly. I originally had frozen them when I bought them, but I realized after the fact, that it may have been easier to leave them unfrozen and pour them in one at a time and freeze each layer, in any case, I had to let them thaw in the first place so I should have just left them liquid. I added one shot of Smirnoff's Melon flavored vodka, its just something I got on sale and I didn't feel like going out to buy rum.

I started off with the grape flavor, and I didn't like how chunky it seemed to be, plus I couldn't use all of it, there was too much. So like any smart mind, I decided to let it melt completely so it wouldn't be so chunky, and then I became impatient and put it in the Magic Bullet, and blended it all into a very soft slushie.


As you can see, I did that for the pink flavor too until Scott said that was a waste of time because I still had to wait for the grape to freeze. So anyway, I proceeded to put the grape liquid into the freezer and let it completely freeze, which takes a while.

In the mean time, my other flavors were sitting out, just melting.

Next, I added the pink and then the green and all was good until I became overly impatient with the orange. I poured the orange on top of the green before the green was completely frozen through and the orange somehow put a hole in the green and it immersed itself into the pink and purple, so I don't think I'll be seeing the orange. I know they say patience is a virtue, but damn I just wanted it to be finished now!

Anywho, I proceeded to add the red because I wanted light and dark colors alternating and orange screwed me over, finally, topping the rainbow with the lovely red. So now it will just sit in my freezer for a couple of days until my party. But it did make me think of how to change this recipe to fit holidays. Think, a red, white and blue one, with Kamakazi shots, I mean seriously?! YUM! Or a green and red one for Christmas, oooh and a orange and black one for Halloween. I think it could be fairly easy to make, even without freeze pops, instead maybe Kool-Aid? In any case, this gives me some ideas!!! And I LOOOVE ideas!

So all in all, the rainbow slush turned out quite nicely, I'm just going to leave it out for about an hour before the party so it can get a nice slush going.


A Few Changes to make from the original blog post.
  • The Freeze Pop can be unfrozen, this might save some time.
  • Add alcohol, I mean this is obvious.
  • I made the freeze pop completely melted instead of chunky, this might change the quality.

Don't forget to be PATIENT!


UPDATE!!!!!

So I made the slush, but unfortunately realized how difficult it was when we finally sat it out to drink. 
  1. The slush was too solid to make a slush.
  2. We waited for hours for it to even be soft enough to put into a glass.
  3. As it melted, it all turned a dark purple.
  4. Didn't look as cool as expected.
  5. The trifle leaked tons of condensation.

The saddest thing for me was my high expectations, but failed attempt I might try to follow the future directions more closely, but I might also leave this idea at home. 




~Amanda




No comments:

Post a Comment