Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'm terrible!!

Oh goodness, every time I think about blogging, something else pops into my head! Grad School is kicking my ass with reading and classwork, and all the extra things I'm doing that goes along with it! And then wedding planning is in full swing.

I promise promise promise, I'm going to get back into the swing of things, but for now, I'm going to post the first chapter of a book I started writing back during the summer! It's a relationship book of sorts and I hope you all like it!


One: The Cheater
First of all, let’s take a bit to discuss what is meant by ‘the cheater’ this is someone who behaves in a manner that you would be emotionally damaged by with another person. Cheating is an umbrella term for most, not simply limited to sex. Ask a man and a woman what cheating is though, and you will yield two different answers. I have always liked to think of cheating as doing anything I would not be ok with my man doing to me. Yes, that includes sex, but it also includes grinding at a bar, or excessive flirting. These are different for different couples, but in most cases, mutual respect for one’s boundaries is the way to go. Ask yourself these questions…
a.       If my significant other has sex with someone else, is this cheating?
·         What if they were intoxicated?
·         What if they confessed?
·         What if it was an accident?
b.      If my significant other is having a relationship with another person, no sex, but the subject matter of the conversation and other aspects of the relationship are more than friendly, is this cheating?
·         What if they are just texting?
·         What if they have been friends long before I came around?
These are only a few questionable actions, but you get the idea. Let’s talk about these things individually.
Sex with someone else
            By most people’s accounts, including mine, this is definitely cheating, and calls into question the validity of the cheater’s feelings for you. Think about this, can you imagine having sex with someone else? If you answered yes, you might not care for this person and whatever happens is fair game, but you certainly aren’t setting yourself up for a long-lasting and happy relationship. If you said no, good for you, but doesn’t being cheated on just suck? If you have been cheated on, then you know what it is like, and you can certainly admit to the betrayal and emotional damage it did, and in any future relationships, trust will be an issue. That being said, how you handle the cheating act and the cheater can change how you will fair in the long run, but we’ll discuss that later.
            If they tell you, were intoxicated or accidentally did it, well what does this change? If they tell you, sure they might feel guilt, but does this mean that they won’t do it again, hard to tell? If they are intoxicated, then what does that say for their character and personality that being drunk is an excuse for cheating? Being with a person who has alcohol or drug problems creates a whole other slew of problems, and can be detrimental to your own mental, physical, and emotional health. Finally, the accident excuse, all the explanation this takes is how does one accidentally have sex with another person? These things do not happen accidentally, the guilt may just take over, and this is where this excuse comes from.
            So if they sleep with someone else this is cheating, unless you’ve started an ‘open relationship’, but be sure that you are completely ok with what this means, if you are going to agree to this or suggest it, make sure it is what you want, and that you will feel no remorse or jealousy at the thought of your significant other in bed with another person. What would you, or have you done in this instance that he/she is cheating in this way?
The Relationship
            This is where some personal truth comes into play, I can admit to once being the ‘other woman’ in a situation like this. I will say now that I am not proud of what I did, but something that started out as friendship blossomed into something inappropriate and people got hurt in the process.
I had starting talking to this guy while I was in college and we had pursued each other, but for some reason, something was holding me back, and I thought being friends would be better for the both of us, this alone should have eased my mind, but due to friendly influence from friends, I felt like maybe I had made a mistake. I still liked him, but he quickly moved on and started dating another girl. I cut ties with him after that, but when he sent me a message a couple of months later, I quickly decided to see what he was up to. It started friendly, with just texting and talking about our lives, he’d ask for relationship advice even, or talk about their fights. Over time, we became really close, and I could sense a pull from the both of us, taking the casual texting to something more serious. He began texting daily, and constantly through the day, and even though I knew it was wrong, I texted back, just hoping that we could be together. He’d call me every night and we’d talk for a good twenty minutes, and I never understood how his girlfriend didn’t know. I began to realize that he was using me as an emotional aspect of his highly sexual relationship, and I began to back off, I wanted a relationship with him, but he hadn’t made any moves to end things with her, and I felt bad about what I was doing.
One day, I texted him and told him that we could be friends, but nothing more while he was in a relationship, needless to say, the boundaries weren’t well laid out, and it did not work. My friends knew what was going on, and although one cautioned me, no one smacked me upside the head, and told me that I was not being smart. I was so caught up in myself I did lose sight in the girl who loved him for over a year at this point. Finally, one day our secret was out, she read a text from him that said he wanted to be with me and she ended things with him. I felt like a horrible person, and one of my nosy friends talked to her and tried to tell me she harbored no ill feelings toward me but I will never believe that. Less than a week later, he called me and said that they were going to get back together, but he couldn’t talk to me, those were the stipulations of them getting back together, so he ended things, and I didn’t talk to him for about a year. I completely cut him out of my life, deleted pictures and any messages. This was my way of coping and moving on (we will be discussing this later).  
Ten months passed and I had made no moves to contact him, but then one of our mutual friends informed me that he broke up with his girlfriend, the same one we had wronged, and that he wanted to talk to me. I told our friend that he could do what he wanted. We started talking, and things were a little different, there was still this pull between us, but he was emotional from the break-up. When I went home from college we went on two dates, two days in a row, and on our second date, he actually stepped outside for ten minutes to take a call from her. Looking back on everything, I am certain he used me to make her jealous because right after our second date, they got back together. I was upset, but honestly it’s probably the best thing that ever happened to me because two months later, I met the only man I ever have and ever will love. Interestingly enough, on my one year anniversary, they broke up again because he cheated again, and he friend requested me on Facebook, needless to say, I declined.
This story is certainly not one of my best and brightest moments, but I’ve learned from it, and I allowed it to shape some of the ways I view relationships, as well as how I help others with their relationships. In this case, if someone did this to me, I couldn’t forgive them, and I would certainly consider it cheating. I may not be the conventional method of cheating, but that doesn’t change the hurt it causes, and that is what I think constitutes cheating. In the case that this is a good friend, or they have only been texting, it doesn’t matter. If someone is having another relationship, then why drag you into this and cause all this pain.
I was cheated on… What now?
            Ok, so someone you loved and cared about cheated on you, what should you do? No two situations are the same, but you must decide how you are going to handle this and how it will affect you. I have always said that if I was ever cheated on I would end things, no doubts and no questions, you might agree, or you might feel differently about this. Obviously if you have set feelings on what you would do, then look no further than to yourself, it is to the people who question what they should do that I am targeting for this part of the chapter. Here are a few questions to ask yourself, whether you are in a relationship or not. (Fill in the blanks, so you have something concrete to look at)
1.      What do you consider cheating?

2.      Should all of the above offenses result in the same response? Or do some have more consequences than others?

3.      What are those responses? What would you do if you were faced with these? (This is important to know what you think is the acceptable response, breaking up, or some other punishment)

If you chose to remain in a relationship, then the next questions are for you.
4.      Will you be able to forgive the offense?

5.      Will you be able to trust again?

6.      How will you go about moving forward?

You’ve answered the questions, now what?
            I am going to go ahead and answer these questions for myself and discuss the whys, and if these make sense to you, and you can concur, then consider inserting this into your own decisions.
1.      What do you consider cheating?
You’ve already read my definition, but I think cheating is something that hurts your significant other, something that you wouldn’t do to them, and something that is inappropriate with another person (Sex, texting, dancing, kissing, excessive flirting, etc.).
2.      Should all of the above offenses result in the same response? Or do some have more consequences than others?
Serious cheating offenses like sex and other emotional relationships should have the same punishments, the grey areas are at my discretion, I would be upset with some of the other things, but might not be so quick to end things.
3.      What are those responses? What would you do if you were faced with these? (This is important to know what you think is the acceptable response, breaking up, or some other punishment)
Cheating with sex or emotional relationships should result in the end of the relationship, dancing and flirting would result in some anger, but not an ending.
4.      Will you be able to forgive the offense?
I wouldn’t be able to forgive someone who would so blatantly disrespect and hurt me as to have sex or some other relationship with another person. Since I wouldn’t be able to forgive, the relationship would suffer and eventually end.
5.      Will you be able to trust again?
I couldn’t trust that he wouldn’t cheat again, and that alone would be detrimental to our relationship.
6.      How will you go about moving forward?
I cut ties in a relationship and forget about the person. I do my best not to generalize in new relationships and I take it as a learning experience for the next guy.
            So now you see where I’m at… Knowing how you would react and feel about these things happening to you can make a world of difference if they do. Having a set plan and knowing yourself can make getting over this so much easier. I know how I would react, which is why I wouldn’t continue to pursue a relationship after a serious cheating offense. This is where so many people run into problems and this is where I want to help you make some strong decisions in order to achieve a healthy relationship.
            Feelings of anger, distrust, or hurt can ruin a relationship. If you decide to continue a relationship after being cheated on, you need to set some ground rules. Explain to your partner how you are feeling and that there are steps that need to be put into place so you can move forward. Explain that you do not yet forgive and you haven’t moved forward until you actually do. Discuss the event in detail if you feel you need that for closure and be mindful of any future suspicious activity. With all of that being said, it is clear that communication is very important between the two of you. You need it to come to terms and to accept, and your partner owes that to you as the cause of these feelings. Don’t lie to them about your feelings and don’t make promises you can’t keep. Take your time and allow yourself to feel anger or sadness. If you say you’ve forgiven when you haven’t, you’re only causing problems. Don’t try to excuse their unfaithful behavior or blame yourself, they did it, there aren’t excuses and it is NOT your fault. If you get into the mistake of saying you’ve forgiven the behavior when you haven’t, don’t bring it up because every time you do, they’ll be upset that you’re harping on it. If you’ve realized you aren’t over it, try journaling or talking to a close friend about it. Journaling can get your feelings out into the open without ever having to let your partner read it and can allow you maul over the emotions and feelings you have, and talking to a friend can make you feel supported and help you make some decisions.

            MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHEN YOU SAY YOU’VE FORGIVEN, ACTUALLY FORGIVE. This is the only way to make the relationship healthy and to bounce back from this. However, if you find yourself in constant sadness and confusion over what your partner did, it might be right to end things and move on to another person, even though it is very difficult to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment