Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thougthful Thoughts

So I'm working a third shift job at a suicide hotline this summer, a place I had been volunteering at for the past 2 years, and then I finally got hired on in January, and let me tell you, the mind wanders when you're alone waiting for a phone to ring. 

        Third Shift is not good for everyday living!

During my last semester of college, I worked two 'overnight' shifts a week, one Sunday night and one Monday night, and this sucked on top of having a regular day job and taking classes. Now that I've graduated, you'd think that this third shift thing would be better for me, nothing else to do or anything, but it's not the best. I've completely wrecked havoc on my sleeping schedule and its going to be difficult to revert back to something normal when I move in July. I would not recommend third shift to anyone unless it was the only option, I have always been a night owl, but this is difficult. 

         What is it about life that causes weight gain?!

This is probably a question that all the ladies ask themselves when they step on that scale and see those ugly numbers that make them cringe. Well for me I look at those numbers and mentally yell, "WHY?!". I've made some simple conclusions, but I don't really know what has caused this weird weight gain (About 30 pounds). Let me also mention that this isn't normal for me. I weighed about the same within 10 pounds for about 4 years then I explode. 

  1. Birth Control - Due to some weird insurance changes, the birth control I had been on for over a year back in December was no longer covered, the price went from $10 to $226, and I simply could not afford that. So I went without it for a month then started a new, cheaper pill that basically worked the same. However, during the time off the pill, I put on 10 pounds. I don't think my appetite changed much, but it seems like this caused problems. Then, back in April I got an IUD called Skyla. It's this amazing little T-shaped thing that they insert into your uterus and it lasts for 3 years. No pill, no worry, it's pretty awesome for me, but after that went in, I gained another 10 pounds. Either way, I'm feeling blimp like.
  2. Moving in with your boyfriend - My boyfriend, Scott and I moved in together last Summer and at the time I was on a low-carb diet. Now we never had a scale or anything so I don't know how much I weighed when I started, or when we moved in, but I had lost about 25 pounds and then when I stopped dieting, I slowly rebounded back and gained it all back by Christmas. I don't know if this is partially his doing, but he eats more than me and I'd always find myself with equal plate servings as him, and I'd gain weight and he'd keep it off. Not fair I know, but still it makes sense now. Luckily, he loves me at all different weight, from my normal starting Amanda, to the diet Amanda, to the now fat Amanda. I think that's what matters, but whenever we try to diet together, it does not work. Men don't understand the concept of dieting, er, at least Scott doesn't. He says let's lose some weight write down what we weigh and if we don't meet our goal weight we lose something (in my case Pinterest). He never discusses how we lose the weight, just say, eat less. However, without a kind of plan with parameters, I feel like the diet won't be effective, and look now, it hasn't. 
  3. Dieting - That low-carb diet worked for me. If working is feeling jittery, hungry all the time, moody, and sometimes downright mean. I've realized that cutting out an entire food group is bad for me, and for most people. Now I didn't completely cut out carbs, but I did take out a big part of my diet and I was always hungry no matter what I did. At first, I was taking a diet pill with it, but I didn't like what it made me feel like. Anyway, dieting in general isn't good for you and it doesn't last. I always, always, ALWAYS, gain back the weight. 
  4. Third Shift - Damn, sleep is important for maintaining a healthy weight, and when I'm working overnight then going to class, I'm certainly not eating better, and I do NOT have time for breakfast. No sleep = no energy = fat me.
Well, there you have it. Girls Guide to Being Fat.

Now, what do I do about it? I have refused to buy new jeans because I want to fit in the ones I have. I am wearing dresses and athletic gear right now. I feel like saying "sweatpants are the only thing that fit me right now", if you catch my reference. I set a goal on June 1st, that I am going to lose 30 pounds by the end of August. That's 10 pounds a month, and completely doable, I think. So far I've lost 5 pounds just by nature, but I need a plan and I'm over halfway done with month one. So here's the plan...

  • Cut back on carbs - I eat a lot of carbs, almost with every meal.
  • Eat less - this seems simple enough, no going back for seconds, and no filling up the plate.
  • Be active - this is harder, but I've been running (once) and I need to find something effective for me, which is probably not as strenuous.
  • Eat breakfast - I've heard this is the key to being healthy. However, this will be difficult for the next 4 weeks because of my overnight job, but afterwards, its on.
  • Don't eat 4 hours before bed - I'm not going to give a specific time because I'm not sure my bedtime is midnight, which is what the 8pm thing I hear is. 
  • Sleep - Getting regular sleep, I think will help a lot. 
So there it is, my diet plan. How exciting is that?! Stay tuned, and I'll let you know how it goes!!!


Next time, I want to discuss relationships, and balancing all the things that come with it in your life!

Thanks for reading! 

Leave a comment if you have any topics you'd like me to cover!

~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment